If you know me, you know I love my Tex-Mex. It would be the one cuisine I'd want to be stuck with eating if I absolutely had to.. one of those "if you were stuck on a deserted island" sort of things... Getting to the point.
I was clicking around and stumbled on a quick easy way to make taco salad shells. I thought what the heck! Let me try it...
What you need:
4 Large flour tortillas (I bought mine and the trick doesn't work as well with wheat tortillas)
1 can of Black beans
2-3 tomatoes, diced
1 green bell peppers, diced
1/2 small white or red onion, diced
Spinach or lettuce, shredded
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 unripened mango, diced
The "How to":
Mango Pico de Gallo
1. Combine tomatoes, onions, green onions and mango in a small bowl
2. Add in lemon juice and swish around
3. Drain excess lemon juice
4. Add salt and pepper to taste
5. Refriderate until ready to eat
1. Pre-heat oven to 350
2. Create 2 4 in boil of foil OR cover a large container with 2 layer of foil (Essentially you will be laying the tortilla on top and the heat will cause it naturally frame this object)
3. Place the foil balls on the baking tray
4. Spray one side of the tortilla with cooking spray and lay the NON-spray side one the foil ball and repeat for the second one
5. Bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the tortilla starts to golden
6. Repeat depending on how many shells you need
1. open can of beans and mix a little salsa and taco seasoning in
2. eat beans in microwave
Now the fun part! The assembly of the Taco Salad
1. Take your shell and layer the bottom with spinach
2. Add beans, then your cheese, mango pico de gallo and all your other Mexican condiment staples (sour cream, guacamole, jalenpenos, etc)
3. Take a fork and have at it!
The tortilla shell is really light and flaky and the best part is that it doesn't have any added oil! Got great reviews from my two favorite taste testers too!