Sunday, September 28, 2008

Veggie Chili


There's nothing better than being a Texan and lovin' a good bowl of chili. Like any good chili, you can put just about anything in it and it'll taste good... Make sure your can opener is ready and get out a nice big pot!

This may be a good time to let you guys know that I generally add spices based on taste.. a pinch here, a splash there... it's all based on your taste buds really. I know officially understand what my mom meant when she said "Piyusha... just one fingers worth."

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bell peppers (I use red and green but whatever you have on had is fine), cut in chunks
  • 1 can kidney beans (white or red)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (I get the southwestern seasoned one)
  • 1/2 can corn
  • 1/2 can refried beans (you can add more later if you need a thicker chili consistency)
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 cup of cooked penne pasta
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
  • 1 tbsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp. chili powder or chili paste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • tomato paste or tomato sauce (optional)

The "How-to"...

  1. Sautee the onions and garlic until the onions are clear, then add the bell peppers
  2. Add in all of the canned products (black beans, kidney beans, corn, refried beans, diced tomatoes), mix well. Add in the tomato paste only if you want a more red color to your chili
  3. Add in spices and mix well.
  4. Add in vegetable stock or water
  5. I add in the pasta at this point since it'll give the chili a more starchy texture and the pasta won't easily break once the stock is in
  6. Let boil and make sure the spices are to taste

I enjoy the chili the next day, after the flavors have had a chance to settle in. Top the chili off with cheese, chives and sour cream.... MMMMMM I really want some now!

Oh! Best part is you can freeze your chili! I make extra and the next time I have craving, I can just pull it out and thaw it out. Fantastic!

No comments: