- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers (I use red and green but whatever you have on had is fine), cut in chunks
- 1 can kidney beans (white or red)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I get the southwestern seasoned one)
- 1/2 can corn
- 1/2 can refried beans (you can add more later if you need a thicker chili consistency)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup of cooked penne pasta
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 tbsp. chili powder or chili paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- tomato paste or tomato sauce (optional)
- Sautee the onions and garlic until the onions are clear, then add the bell peppers
- Add in all of the canned products (black beans, kidney beans, corn, refried beans, diced tomatoes), mix well. Add in the tomato paste only if you want a more red color to your chili
- Add in spices and mix well.
- Add in vegetable stock or water
- I add in the pasta at this point since it'll give the chili a more starchy texture and the pasta won't easily break once the stock is in
- Let boil and make sure the spices are to taste
I enjoy the chili the next day, after the flavors have had a chance to settle in. Top the chili off with cheese, chives and sour cream.... MMMMMM I really want some now!
Oh! Best part is you can freeze your chili! I make extra and the next time I have craving, I can just pull it out and thaw it out. Fantastic!